Farewell Semester One, Hello Semester Two!

It’s incredible to think that we have reached the beginning of term three, and for that matter, semester two. Semester one was a hugely busy and fun semester of learning and exploring in the Performing Arts space, and I am excited by the ways that we have set ourselves up for a thrilling second semester.

As the Performing Arts specialist I am responsible for teaching am engaging and relevant Performing Arts program to students across the whole school, from Prep to grade six. In semester one I worked with the junior years (prep and 1/2) in the Performing Arts space and this semester I will be working with the upper years (grades 3/4 and 5/6). At the beginning of the year I must admit I was somewhat nervous by the prospect of two terms of teaching only Preps, ones and twos. I had had some experience in teaching these age groups, but never for a concentrated period of time. I was excited but somewhat unsure as to how I would engage students so young with authentic and valuable Performing Arts learning?

As it turns out I should not have been worried, semester one was a joy to teach, and I was blown away by the skill, enthusiasm and hard work our youngest students bought with them last semester. My hope is that through this introductory semester I have given the preps, ones and twos a great introduction to Performing Arts skills, concepts and practices that they will continue to develop as they progress through their time at St Albans East.

This semester the upper levels will have their Performing Arts learning blocked out clearly across terms three and four. In term three we will be exploring Drama and in term four we will be exploring Music. Our approach to drama will be to introduce and explore the fundamental elements of Drama; plot, setting, character and tension. These elements will be explored individually and used to create and develop an end of term performance to share with student’s peers. As with last semester this learning will have a strong cross-curricular element, mist explicitly with Literacy, as the discussions on the dramatic element of plot will tie in richly with Literacy learning about narrative. All of this learning will be complimented by developing skills in communication, teamwork and creative thinking.

I am eager to get stuck in to this semester’s learning, and from the energy in the Performing Arts room I believe the students are too. Watch this space for updates!